A teen boy called 911 Monday afternoon from his Healdsburg home when he realized an upstairs bedroom was ablaze.
The teen and a friend had been playing video games downstairs at about 3:20 p.m. when they discovered the fire.
The resident suffered minor smoke inhalation and slight burns to the back of his neck when he ran into the burning room to retrieve items, Healdsburg fire Capt. Gerold Williams said Tuesday.
The teen apparently went in low, to stay under the smoke, but stood up too early, the captain said.
Arriving Healdsburg fire officials struck a second alarm as they arrived at the Woodside Court home in the residential neighborhood.
Officials reported heavy flames coming from an upstairs bedroom spreading into the attic and wanted added firefighters for the house and because of its proximity to nearby homes.
Healdsburg firefighters were joined by Cloverdale, Windsor, Geyserville and Cal Fire agencies. Santa Rosa crews helped with station coverage.
The fire was kept to the room with some extension into the attic. Smoke damage spread into other parts of the home, including a nearby room which contained several guitars in cases, which the teen was happy were saved, Williams said.
The cause of the fire couldn't be determined but investigators believed it might have been electrical due to the amount of plugs and stacked power strips in the room, Williams said.
He estimated damage was about $75,000 to the structure and contents.