A top food safety official suggested Friday to North Bay ranchers that the “deception” by operators at a Petaluma slaughterhouse will take a long time to unravel and could make it impossible to remove the ranchers' high-end meats from a massive recall.
The investigation of diseased and unsound animals at Rancho Feeding Corporation involves more than cows with eye cancer, as previously reported, the official from the U.S. Department of Agriculture was quoted as saying. He also reportedly said the Rancho recall involves 44,000 establishments around the nation, a figure far higher than can be confirmed from the USDA's website.
Some who attended or were briefed about Friday's meeting said the bar has been set extremely high for those ranchers trying to persuade the USDA that their grass-fed cattle were healthy and that the meat processed from those animals at Rancho remains fit for human consumption. The federal regulators appear so uncertain about all that went on at the slaughterhouse that they may be unable to conclude that the meat was left untainted and not tampered with.
Rancho Feeding Corp.
Bill Niman, owner of BN Ranch in Bolinas, said he is seeking relief for at least $300,000 worth of meat in his company's freezers. But after the meeting, he acknowledged that his request “may be trumped by food safety concerns.”
The Rancho plant, the North Bay's last slaughterhouse, has been under investigation since early January. Last month the facility shut down after announcing a recall of 8.7 million pounds of meat, a year's worth of production.
The USDA has asserted that Rancho “processed diseased and unsound animals” without a full inspection and that the company engaged in “intermittent circumvention of inspection requirements.” The USDA repeatedly has refused to comment on most aspects of the recall or on the various federal investigations, but congressman Jared Huffman, D-San Rafael, has said that the U.S. Attorney's Office is conducting a criminal probe.