Last hours to vote for the Best of Sonoma County finalists! Don't miss out!

Supervisor Efren Carrillo to appear in court Friday

  • Sonoma County Supervisor Efren Carrillo listens to Karen Fraser in September as she asks Carrillo to step down from his position on the Board of Supervisors. (Kent Porter / Press Democrat)

Nearly three months after he was arrested in the pre-dawn darkness outside a Santa Rosa woman's home, Sonoma County Supervisor Efren Carrillo returns to court Friday to see whether he will be charged with a crime.

The two-term supervisor, who was booked on suspicion of prowling and burglary after the July incident, faces removal from office if convicted of a felony.

Police at the time said they suspected him of attempting a sexual assault, pointing to a torn screen on the woman's bedroom window.

Efren Carrillo's 2nd Court Appearance


But prosecutors so far have not filed formal allegations. At a hearing in August, a special prosecutor assigned to the case asked for six additional weeks to decide on charges.

Prosecutor Cody Hunt on Wednesday did not rule out the possibility of another delay.

“I'm not sure what will happen,” Hunt said.

Carrillo's lawyer, Chris Andrian, said he has not been informed about any pending charges. He said prosecutors had promised to give advance notice of any allegations at least a day before the next hearing.

Carrillo, 32, an up-and-comer in state Democratic politics, was arrested July 13 after a woman called 911 at about 3:40 a.m. to report someone outside her home near Stony Point Road and West Third Street.

She said someone tried to get in her window and she was awaked by the sound of window blinds being moved. In a second 911 call 10 minutes later, she said the person knocked on her door, identified himself as a neighbor and ran away.

Officers arrived and found a torn window screen. Carrillo was in the area, clad in socks and underwear and carrying a cell phone. He was arrested when he could not offer a clear explanation for his behavior.

Carrillo, whom officers said appeared to have been drinking at the time of his arrest, posted bail within hours and reportedly checked into an alcohol treatment facility. He remained in seclusion for five weeks.

© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View